Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Becoming The Little Black Dress

Clothing Tip #1 - Before hitting the mall and department stores for summer attire, go shopping in your own closet! It is amazing what kind of fabrics, textiles, and looks are hidden between hangers, under boxes, and behind last year's cardigans.

      I recently unearthed this ankle-length black rayon/polyester/lycron skirt [which I believe my mother purchased at Goodwill yeeeeeaars ago, and I failed to ever wear it]. With a little effort, this Old Navy drab will soon become a bit more fab.

     Before placing the skirt on the dress form, I first wore the skirt and played around with the styling. I instantly raised the skirt, and brainstormed ideas for a dress.


     The skirt is beginning to resemble a dress...



   I found a skinny black leather western belt.


 The cinched waist creates a romper look for the dress - loose, cute, and comfortable for sunny days.



Issues -  A high slit in back and gaping zipper on side. 

Proposal - Remedy the slit with a black/black pattern material and insert a skinny elastic band for top of dress.




Stay tuned for my attempt to transform drab to fab!

Thank you for supporting Java Journal.

-L
  















No comments:

Post a Comment